Do you want to be ahead of the game for artificial intelligence (AI) for kids?
“Yes,” you say…
“But what on earth is artificial intelligence?”
“And what does it have to do with my kids?”
Great questions which I get to below.
I’ll explain it as I talk about it with my kids so that it’s super easy and straightforward to understand.
From online resources to artificial intelligence classes, we have rounded up the latest info on AI for kids and how they can stay ahead of the curve.
Read this article to be at the front of the AI train. Choo choo…
What Is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence is a type of computer science where machines are designed to have human intelligence and learn like you and me.
AI is continuously evolving as AI research advances, including areas such as machine learning, deep learning, and robotics:
Machine learning (ML) is where machines use algorithms (instructions for the machine) to learn from examples.
What does that mean?
Machine learning is like when you listen to lots of songs and recognize different beats. With practice, you can predict what the next beat will be, even for new songs:
Bom Bom BOOM, Bom Bom BOOM, Bom Bom…[what’s next?] You’ve got it!
Machine learning recognizes examples like this and learns patterns from them.
Deep learning is a more advanced type of machine learning. It is designed to understand more complicated patterns and solve problems on its own.
This is like learning a new language. At first, you learn some basic words, but as you get better, you understand sentences and conversations. Deep learning is like your brain getting better at understanding the language without needing someone to translate every word.
Robotics is where AI is used in robots or machines so that they can do things like humans, such as picking up a ball or a car driving by itself.
How Can AI Benefit Kids?
Sounds a bit Sci-Fi? How can this actually help your kids?
AI technologies are being implemented in all industries and are growing exponentially in their application (see all these examples). For this reason alone it’s essential for our kids to learn about artificial intelligence and its uses.
Just look at these stats to show you what a significant role artificial intelligence is playing in the business world alone.
By introducing elementary grades to the basics of artificial intelligence, they will be able to use the technology to:
- Nurture creativity – they can design games with AI elements or build a robot.
- Develop their critical thinking skills – Let them explore questions like “How can we use AI to help the world?” or “What are the risks of AI?”
- Perform tasks in a quicker and easier way – instead of hiring a private tutor, AI can help explain math problems in an easy-to-understand way, saving money and frustration.
- Develop their problem-solving abilities – such as teaching them how to program a virtual robot to navigate through a maze and find the shortest path to the goal.
- Learn from data quickly and effectively – like creating interactive charts and graphs to understand patterns in climate data for a science project.
- Improve computational thinking – They can learn the basics of coding languages, which can equip them with valuable skills for potential future careers.
- Enhance understanding of new technologies – They can learn how voice assistants like Siri or Alexa work or how recommendation systems make personalized suggestions.
Here Are The 5 Best Ways Of How to Make The Most Of AI For Kids
1. Online Classes
Is your child sociable and likes to be in a class environment?
Does your kid want to start their path to becoming an AI developer or designer?
There are online classes where national and international students learn together in real-time. Kids can make new friends from around the world via webcam as part of the experience.
Alternatively, kids can learn at their own pace with pre-recorded courses.
These help kids learn about AI within a community making it easier to get started.
Not sure about the courses because you can’t get stop your kid from playing with their tablet?
No problem! Artificial intelligence can be taught through AI apps for kids.
They can learn artificial intelligence day-to-day instead of spending hours watching [fill the blank].
They present AI concepts simply in a both fun and age-appropriate way.
3. AI Robots
Don’t really want your kid to be glued to a screen all day? We get it.
There is a range of AI Robots and Toys and teachable machines that can teach kids about artificial intelligence without using a computer.
For kids who like to build, touch and play with physical toys, this is a great option.
4. AI In Schools
Do you wish your child’s school would run more efficiently and have better resources?
They can! Several educational organizations use AI to use resources more efficiently and give kids more support when they need it. There are plenty of other benefits of AI in education.
It may be worth speaking with the school principal and PTA to see how you can make sure your kids get the best from their school through AI technologies.
5. AI Safety
This is all a bit hands-on.
The prospect of your kid having access to AI technology seems a bit scary. Just like with internet safety, shouldn’t there be AI safety?
There are so many positive AI applications (like the ones listed above), but there are downsides and dangers too. It is especially important that parents and educators are well-equipped with the best ways to keep kids safe using and interacting with AI.
We’ve created a guide with 9 tips that every parent and teacher should know to keep kids AI-safe.
How Does AI Work?
AI is like a brain for computers. Just like we learn from our experiences, AI learns from lots of information it’s given.
It looks for patterns and figures out how things work.
For example, AI can be trained to recognize the difference between cats and dogs by being fed lots of cat and dog images.
AI uses special instructions called algorithms to help it understand things and make decisions. It’s like teaching a computer to think and learn on its own. The more data and information AI has, the smarter it becomes.
What Are Some Existing Examples Of AI?
- Suggestions on Google Search – have you noticed how Google predicts what you will type into the search bar? This is all generated by artificial intelligence.
- Navigation maps – AI forms the best possible route in real-time to provide optimal routes, estimated arrival times, and alternative suggestions.
- Virtual assistants – examples include Siri and Alexa, which respond to our queries through voice recognition, helping us with tasks such as setting reminders, answering questions, and controlling smart devices.
- Self-driving cars – These cars use algorithms to interpret the surrounding environment through cameras and radars in real-time, which enables them to make intelligent decisions and control movements without a person behind the wheel.
- Netflix suggestions – AI will suggest other films you may like based on others you regularly watch.
- Face recognition – Your cell phone is able to recognize your face to unlock it through AI.
Is AI Safe For Kids?
Yes, AI for kids can be safe to use when rules and parental guidance are in place.
Parents should regularly monitor the content their kids have with AI, especially those that involve collecting personal information.
It’s so important to supervise children’s activities to ensure they are using AI safely and responsibly. By being aware of the potential risks and taking necessary precautions, AI can provide valuable learning experiences while ensuring child safety.
Do My Kids Need To Be Able To Code To Use AI?
While coding can provide a deeper understanding of how AI works and allow for more advanced customization, there are various user-friendly AI tools and applications available that can be used by children without extensive coding knowledge.
These tools often have intuitive interfaces and allow kids to interact with AI in creative and engaging ways, fostering learning and exploration without the need for coding skills.
The field of AI opens up endless opportunities for kids. With the right resources and education, kids can learn the latest technologies and get a head start.
Education on AI can help them develop analytical and cognitive skills that are critical in life. Kids will also get an early sense of achievement as they work towards solving real-world problems.
The possibilities are endless, and it’s up to us to ensure that our kids are well-equipped and prepared for the world’s future.